Generally speaking gas ovens and ranges are more preferred than electric ovens because they provide the chef in the house with more control over the heating temperatures. If you own a Hotpoint oven that does not come equipped with an electronic ignition, it’s essential to understand how to light the pilot lights for the burners and oven. According to Hotpoint, the burner pilot lights must be lit before you can light the oven pilot light.
- Turn off all of your burner control knows to “Off”
- Lift up the cook top on your Hotpoint oven
- Located in the center of the range between each set of burner, light both pilots using a match.
- Remove Hotpoint oven door a few inches to reach the “stop point.” Grab each side of the door and lift straight up to remove.
- Remove oven shelves.
- Remove the inside of the oven bottom. First, you will need to remove screws toward rear of the oven bottom. Grab oven bottom by the finger slots on each side and lift it up and slide it out of the oven.
- Located on the back of the oven bottom, attached to the left side of the oven burner you will find the pilot light. To light the pilot, push in and hold the oven control knob.
- Once the pilot is lit, continue holding knob down for at least one minute.
- Reassemble your oven and verify the pilot light is working properly.
- Once assembled turn your oven control knob to 260 degrees – oven burner should ignite and burn until the desired temperature is reached.
Have specific questions regarding your Hotpoint oven? Consider calling a specialist to oversee the functions of your range. If necessary, you can find replacement parts at: 1st Source Servall Range Parts
A specialist isn’t the answer – a new oven might be! Check out our blog to help you in your decision making process: WHEN SHOULD I BUY A NEW APPLIANCE?